Brass hardware on your doors can add a stylish element that stands out. Unfortunately, if you don't clean and maintain the brass hardware properly, it can begin to look unsightly and take away from the look, rather than complement it.
Clean and Maintain the Brass Hardware
If you have just had brass hardware installed, take a few minutes to wax it. Use non-abrasive polymer-based wax made for furniture or vehicles. Apply the wax to the brass and let it dry. Then, use a clean soft cloth to wipe away the wax and polish the finish.
To clean the brass hardware, use a dry cloth to wipe away dirt and debris. If there is dirt on the finish that you cannot get off with a dry cloth, dampen the cloth slightly with water and wipe it clean. Just be sure to follow up with a dry cloth to prevent corrosion.
Tip: Never, ever use glass cleaner or other cleaning solutions on the brass. This will ruin the finish quickly.
Refinish Unsightly Brass Hardware
If the brass hardware has been on the door for some time and you haven't maintained it properly, it is probably beginning to look pretty bad. Another reason that brass can look unsightly is if it is exposed to sea spray or has been cleaned with the wrong cleaning agents. Instead of investing in new brass hardware, you can refinish it rather easily.
- Start by removing the door hardware.
- Lay the hardware on a protected surface. A layer of old newspapers will do the trick.
- Use a paint brush to apply lacquer remover to the hardware.
- Let the lacquer remover sit for 15 or 20 minutes to loosen the coating on the brass.
- Now, use a piece of 0000 grade steel wool to remove the outer coating of the brass.
- Continue working with the steel wool to polish the brass.
- Mix a teaspoon of dish washing soap in a bucket of warm water.
- Rinse the hardware in the bucket to remove the lacquer remover.
- Dry the hardware with a soft cloth.
- Use polymer-based automotive wax to seal the surface of the brass.
- Reinstall the hardware.
- Polish the hardware every month with the automotive wax to maintain the perfect finish.
Your brass hardware can maintain its original luster if you spend a little time caring for it. A few minutes spent maintaining your brass hardware will make a huge difference in how it looks twenty years from now. For information on replacing doors entirely, contact a local outlet, such as Southern Specialty Corporation.